Skip to main content

THE REASONS FOR THE SUCCESS OF ASIAN AMERICANS: ROLE MODELS AND MENTORS




I have often wondered why Asian Americans are the highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States.  In many ways, I share their experiences.  Like 74% of them, I was also born abroad; and like half of them, I will say, I speak English very well.  Some other statistics and comparisons are also interesting and for some people, may explain why Asian Americans are more successful.  More than six-in-ten adults ages 25 to 64 who have come from Asia in recent years have at least a bachelor’s degree.  I had a Master’s degree when I came to the United States in 1984. 
In spite of all the reasons cited above, I used to struggle to explain why Asian Americans do better than any other race.  This is because I didn’t believe that the reason for my success was the education that I had when I entered the country.  Being unable to explain, I could not share my experiences and help my brethren in my adopted country.  I found that being an excellent teacher in the classroom was not enough.  Something more was always needed to help my students become successful.

That was until I attended a “College Fair” in South Carolina in the fall of 1992, a few months after my by-pass surgery.  I remember speaking with a tall boy for about 10 minutes about his career plans.  He had a good GPA and sounded quite intelligent but kept insisting that he did not want to go to college but instead wanted to become a truck driver. I was disappointed and made it a point to raise it with his teacher whom I had known for some time.  She told me that David’s mother was a single parent.  David was a loner whose only male role model was his mom’s boyfriend who was a truck driver.  She explained the need for and the dearth of male role models for African American boys in the South. 

I found it very hard to understand.  I had plenty of role models and extensive network of family and friends when I was growing up.  My parents instilled strong values and my drive to be successful.  My extended family and friends provided support and encouragement.  I have often wondered what my life would have been if they had not been there?  Although I lost both my parents before I became 21 years old, my cousins paid and educated me in the United Kingdom and encouraged and supported my goals.  Although without my parents and friends I often felt lonely, my extended family and friends wrote to me weekly and showed their love and gave me strength.  I owe it to my family and friends for the education I obtained and for having been able to come to America for my Ph.D.  If not for them, I would have been like many other Sri Lankan Tamils who were left behind – who were either forced to join the Tamil Tigers or struggle to survive in a sluggish economy being throttled by a long civil war. 

I don’t wonder any longer why Asian Americans are successful.  I know it is because they grew up with a strong network of friends and relatives who provided guidance, support and encouragement.   

Question: How important is mentoring and how can I help?
My Experience:
  • Statistics provide clear evidence of the importance of mentoring. Young adults who were at risk of falling-off track but had a mentor are 55% more likely to enroll in college.  Youth who regularly meet with mentors are 46% less likely than their peers to start using illegal drugs.
  • I had multiple role models, all of them were family members in Sri Lanka or teachers in India and the USA. Drs. C. T. Kurien and Joseph James, epitomes of simplicity, despite being University Professors, served as my role models and helped enhance my interest in economic development and poverty alleviation.  One of the reasons I did my M.A. degree in Development Economics and wrote my thesis on “Why Poor People Stay Poor” was because of the influence of my teachers.
  • As a Professor in South Carolina, I have had many opportunities to be role models and mentors for my students.  Many times, I have been successful, many students have done well in their lives.  Sometimes I wasn’t.  Being a role model is not easy but is always a learning and enriching experience.
  • You can be a mentor at any age.  Secondary school children can mentor elementary school children, like my son did at summer camps organized by the Fairfax Parks and Recreation Authority.  It was valuable when he wrote his college application.  I plan to volunteer and serve as a mentor after I retire. 
  • There are many organizations that have established mentoring programs.  For example, many Boys and Girls Clubs and Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America have a successful history of organizing and supporting mentoring programs.  Some school districts have established programs, e.g., Kansas City Metro areaMentor, the National Mentoring Partnership is a good resources.
Do you have experience as a mentor and how did it start?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Education: How to Select a College Major?

I don’t think I ever had a choice but to study and get a degree.   That was the story of all the middle class Sri Lanka Tamils growing up in the 1960s and 1970s.   We were indoctrinated from a very young age that education was our path to salvation.   That too, all of us had to become engineers or doctors.   If we failed to get admitted to the two or three Sri Lanka Universities that existed at that time (Colombo, Katubadde or Peradeniya), the rich kids were sent abroad to study medicine and the others studied accountancy at home.    I don’t know why Sri Lankan parents wanted their children to study medicine or engineering.   Some have told me that it is because of their desire for their children to excel in fields with good career potential. There might be some justification for that in Tamil literature. Great Saint Thiruvalluvar wrote “The benefit which a father should confer on his son is to give him precedence in the assembly of the learned” ( தந்தை மகற் காற்று நன்றி அவ
 RETIREMENT - WHEN, WHERE AND TO DO WHAT? When we think of retirement, we often think of beautiful beaches and warm weather.  But for many, retirement may not be that pleasant.  For a majority of us, the thought of retirement is very concerning.  When, where and to do what? After two careers spanning about 30 years, I have started thinking about retirement.  There are many financial tools that help you make financial decisions for life after retirement.  Fidelity has an excellent retirement planning tool. But I have not seen any tool that can tell me whether I am ready physically and mentally to retire.  I am 60 years old and not in excellent health.  Waking up at 4 am every day, to leave for work at 6 am and return only at 7:30 pm has had an impact on my body and brain.  I am tired and would like to retire in couple of years.  I have heard of many people struggling with decisions about retirement. Also, I live in Northern Virginia.  Living in Northern Virginia is