Skip to main content
 MY STORY

I started blogging and tweeting about my interests in marketing and small business about 5 years ago.  I wanted my son to become interested in my hobbies but that did not materialize. More recently, I have become more interested in sharing my experience with a wider audience and helping the readers make better decisions with the choices that we face every day. I am a 60 year old administrator and was a Professor in a Business School for 11 years before I changed my career.  My research and teaching interests were on business decision making.  I think I have made good decisions in my life and helped more than 1,000 students do well in their lives. 

I have been happily married for 35 years, have a son, and a comfortable life.  In 1984, when I arrived in the USA, I had $500 in my pocket.  Our story - an American immigrant's story - has many lessons for others - to my son included.  Also, one day, I might get dementia, Alzheimer’s and other health issues and in turn, forget these most pleasant memories.  I hope by reading and writing blogs, I can slow the onset of dementia.  More importantly, when I am no longer there with him, I hope these blogs will have some value for my son to understand his parents and the choices that they made.

Finally, I want to have a purposeful life even after retirement.  I believe one way to have a purposeful life after retirement is to share your life experiences.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Education: How to Select a College Major?

I don’t think I ever had a choice but to study and get a degree.   That was the story of all the middle class Sri Lanka Tamils growing up in the 1960s and 1970s.   We were indoctrinated from a very young age that education was our path to salvation.   That too, all of us had to become engineers or doctors.   If we failed to get admitted to the two or three Sri Lanka Universities that existed at that time (Colombo, Katubadde or Peradeniya), the rich kids were sent abroad to study medicine and the others studied accountancy at home.    I don’t know why Sri Lankan parents wanted their children to study medicine or engineering.   Some have told me that it is because of their desire for their children to excel in fields with good career potential. There might be some justification for that in Tamil literature. Great Saint Thiruvalluvar wrote “The benefit which a father should confer on his son is to give him precedence in the assembly of the learned” ( தந்தை மகற் காற்று நன்றி அவ

THE REASONS FOR THE SUCCESS OF ASIAN AMERICANS: ROLE MODELS AND MENTORS

I have often wondered why Asian Americans are the highest-income, best-educated and fastest-growing racial group in the United States.  In many ways, I share their experiences.  Like 74% of them, I was also born abroad; and like half of them, I will say, I speak English very well.  Some other statistics and comparisons are also interesting and for some people, may explain why Asian Americans are more successful.  More than six-in-ten adults ages 25 to 64 who have come from Asia in recent years have at least a bachelor’s degree.  I had a Master’s degree when I came to the United States in 1984.  In spite of all the reasons cited above, I used to struggle to explain why Asian Americans do better than any other race.  This is because I didn’t believe that the reason for my success was the education that I had when I entered the country.  Being unable to explain, I could not share my experiences and help my brethren in my adopted country.  I found that being an excellent te
 RETIREMENT - WHEN, WHERE AND TO DO WHAT? When we think of retirement, we often think of beautiful beaches and warm weather.  But for many, retirement may not be that pleasant.  For a majority of us, the thought of retirement is very concerning.  When, where and to do what? After two careers spanning about 30 years, I have started thinking about retirement.  There are many financial tools that help you make financial decisions for life after retirement.  Fidelity has an excellent retirement planning tool. But I have not seen any tool that can tell me whether I am ready physically and mentally to retire.  I am 60 years old and not in excellent health.  Waking up at 4 am every day, to leave for work at 6 am and return only at 7:30 pm has had an impact on my body and brain.  I am tired and would like to retire in couple of years.  I have heard of many people struggling with decisions about retirement. Also, I live in Northern Virginia.  Living in Northern Virginia is